Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Barton's Bonbonniere Candy Tins



I had never heard of Barton's Candy until I ran across 2 of their candy tins (empty) but still in their original boxes at a local estate sale. 



They were the most beautiful candy tins I had ever seen. So, I started researching the company. It was started in 1938 in New York City by Stephen Klein who had immigrated from Austria. The original name was Barton's Bonbonnieres. The company grew and gained popularity selling European style and Kosher candy and were considered the confectioner to go to for Passover candy. By 1952 they were opening their 50th store in Manhattan. This was a store that you would never forget if you saw it and a place to visit just to view the decor. I wish I could have seen it in person.


I've included some of the print from the boxes that show this is from when chocolates were made from ingredients that you could recognize. Not the ingredients that are used now that you can't even pronounce.



The Klein family sold it's shares in the company in 1978, the year Stephen Klein died at the age of 71. The candy line continued in production until 2009 when the owner at that time, Cherrydale Farms, officially ended the brand.

I sold these to a Ms. Klein from NYC. I never asked, but hope that she is a relative or descendant of Stephen Klein and they are back in the family where they belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment