Thursday, February 21, 2019

Little Shop of Horrors Lamp



I don't know exactly how to describe this lamp but I keep coming back to the plant from the movie "The Little Shop of Horrors".  All I really know is that when I saw it at a garage sale I knew I had to have it. It was dirty, just sitting on the ground, but it was calling to me. The man selling it said it had always been in his aunt's house and now she was gone. It had been in storage for many years as evidenced by the dust and cobwebs. He had a place to plug it in to try it and it still worked. It is a 3-way where the right bulb lights first, then the left and finally both. 



It is gold, cream and green. Marked on the back Universal Statuary Co., Chicago 22 ILL © 1955. I believe it is solid chalkware or plaster and it is really heavy - 12 lbs. 10 oz. and stands 23" tall. The light shades are made of something that resembles heavy cardboard with lacing to hold them together.



I have found many lamp and statues made by Universal Statuary when trying to do more research on this, some just as bizarre as mine but I haven't been able to find another just the same. If you know of someone with more information about lamps made by this company than you can find on Wikipedia, I would love to hear from them. I know Don isn't as fond of it as I am but for now it is staying right in my living room where you can see it as soon as you come in the front door.  And it always makes me smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment